A funny bear story?

Off topic discussions can be had here.
treeplanter

A funny bear story?

Post by treeplanter » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:33 pm

It's a rainy day in the Rockies, a good time for a little story. A couple of years ago I was over working on the Kamchatka penninsula in eastern Russia. It was a typical night in camp, I was in one of the tents drinking with the Russians as I can speak a little russian, we had already finished all the vodka and we were now taking shots of "spirit" (rubbing alcohol I think) and chasing it with peva (russian beer). The Russians were angry because the oil company was bringing two American hunters to shoot all the Grizzly bears to protect us seismic workers. They were angry for two reasons: 1) they hate Americans and, 2) they were perfectly capable of shooting the bears themselves. To lighten up the mood a bit I tried to crack a joke.
" These American hunters must be really good" I say.
" Why's that?" Sasha asks with indignation.
" Because there's no Grizzlys left in America" I reply.
Nobody laughs, not even a chuckle. I realize Russians are a tough audience, or maybe it was my delivery, or maybe it just wasn't funny, I don't know?

friendofacatahoula

Re: A funny bear story?

Post by friendofacatahoula » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Knowing many people with Russian backgrounds they can be a tough audience that is for sure, but I would have to say it just wasn't very funny...haha, I chuckle harder at the idea you couldn't figure that out. haha :lol:

On a side note I have seen a few bear this year though, 3 last weekend in Eastern BC. A Small black female with a very small cub, smallest I have ever seen then a nice size brown bear, the weekend before a small Grizzly cub near Sheep river falls.

treeplanter

Post by treeplanter » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Aw come on, it's funny in Russian. Here's the punch line in Russian: Nyet Americanski Grizzly bear.
O.K. the joke's not funny but I still think it's a funny story.

Hopefully somebody else is the bear magnet this year, I haven't seen a grizz yet, plenty of blacks though. After last year if I never see a grizz again it will be too soon.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7509933@N05/3696270307/

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:44 am

Nice pic. Havn't seen a griz yet either - or any bear for that matter. Seen everything else; moose, a fox, elk, sheep, and inumerable deer. Hell we even saw wild horses for that matter. But no bears. Saw a griz on April 19th last year, real early in the season.

friendofacatahoula

Post by friendofacatahoula » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:20 pm

Thats not a griz though? Nice pic still....where abouts did you find those nice rainbow in your other photo's

Heffty

Post by Heffty » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Was fishing the Upper K and this fellow came along. I had a fish I needed to throw out into the lake. He went right to the spot where I had it sitting and sniffed around, beating his paws about the rocks and sniffing the air with his nose while moving his head around. He was pissed he couldn't find the fish. The admin and I ran up the ledge downwind from him and took a few shots...probably closer than we should have been.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q50/ ... 0151-1.jpg

friendofacatahoula

Post by friendofacatahoula » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:29 pm

very nice picture, and yes that might have been a little close for my comfort but it depends on that bank and how far the truck was from me.

Heffty

Post by Heffty » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:50 pm

Well that bank wasn't too steep...a bear could clear it in a second or two. The truck was about 1 km away. The admins camera only has as 5x optical zoom...not to mention my hands and likely sleeves were covered in fish scent.

Let's just say neither of us would likely take that picture again if the chance came up.

treeplanter

Post by treeplanter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Nice bear! No ear tags or radio collar, nice. You can even see the claws on that bad boy! I came over Burstall pass from the upper Spray today, saw a 300lb blondie probably 500m away on the S.W. flanks of Snow peak. I think I prefer seeing them in binoculars rather than a 5x zoom, you kids are crazy!
Last edited by treeplanter on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Saw a huge griz North of Hinton this week. We were driving when we saw it a tempting to cross to the road to the right, towards a side road. When it saw us it split into the bush. We were already planning to go down the side road looking to access the headwaters of a creek. After driving along it for a couple klicks, we came across a Cow and Calf moose, wasting no time running down the road. Turned out the road dead ended, so we started driving back the way we had come. Sure enough, here came the griz down the road towards us, obviously tracking the moose and its calf. We got out and took some nice pics (will post once I sign up for flickr). Hopefully we bought the cow and calf enough time to get a swampy area....