Path of Exile is its own passive tree and skill gems

Off topic discussions can be had here.
Rskingdom

Path of Exile is its own passive tree and skill gems

Post by Rskingdom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:57 am

Among the best theories in Path of exile currency is its own passive tree and skill gems. Every time you level up, you unlock points which you may use to uncover nodes at the passive ability tree. Minor nodes provide slight updates to your stats, even while important nodes unlock strong passive abilities that fundamentally change the way you play.

This works in concert with skill gems, which slot into pieces of equipment and give your character charms and abilities to use in battle (unlike Diablo 3, they do not have any given abilities). Items will frequently have multiple gem slots, and sometimes they're linked together. When I put an ability like Orb of Storms to a slot and then join it using Curse on Strike, Flammability and Vulnerability, each time my Orb of Storms hits an enemy it will also use both of those curses into them. It is basically a highly robust spell-crafting system.

Nevertheless, it's when ability gems and the passive tree overlap that things get really exciting. My Necromancer relies solely on Scorching Ray to deal with damage. Obviously, I have unlocked plenty of nodes which boost fire damage, but some big nodes possess these smart synergies that are really fun to unlock. Take Elemental Equilibrium for example, making enemies that I struck with elemental damage briefly get 25 percent immunity to all those elements and -50 percent immunity to other elements.

How could that be helpful to me? Well, when an enemy is struck by Orb of Storms, they become more resistant to lightning damage but weaker to fire. And because Scorching Ray is really a damage over time talent, it does not actually "strike" an enemy, therefore I never risk making them resistant to fire by accident. That's only one of buy poe chaos orbs a dozen little synergies my character has. I've never been much of a theory crafter, but viewing my construct slowly come together since I unlock more important nodes was a rewarding experience.