Don Getty - caves

Discuss anything hiking here and please include your recent trip reports.
friendofacatahoula

Don Getty - caves

Post by friendofacatahoula » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:51 pm

This doesn't appear to be a popular area for threads but I thought I might try my luck and see if anyone has ever found the deep caves that are hidden away in the Don Getty area? At first I thought maybe it is near Forgetmenot but then thought maybe its further down near the Cataract area. Any Ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Don Getty - caves

Post by admin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:00 pm

I have never heard of these. Sounds interesting though. Where did you hear about them?

admin
OutdoorAlberta.com

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:11 am

I checked through both my Southern Alberta and Canadian Rockies Backroad Mapbooks. They are 1:50,000 topographical maps. They usually mark any caves, but mark none in the Don Getty or Cataract area. Sorry. Steven Noel.

friendofacatahoula

Post by friendofacatahoula » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:41 pm

I know I have searched my backroad books as well with no luck. Should you google Don Getty Caves you will find a few sites including the government of Alberta site that boasts "Don Getty Wildland Park contains several important features, including Forget-Me-Not Ridge, which provides spectcular views, and one of the deepest known caves in Alberta". Nothing that says where it is in the park though.

I did find a site that listed Plateau Mountain as having a cave, I will have to check my BRB again. I just thought someone else might have heard of such a thing and there are so few forums for finding out information. Without insulting the admin of this site if anyone has a suggestion to another forum that they use for simular interests please let me know.

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Heffty

Post by Heffty » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:21 pm

A more direct link to the exact page where the info can be found would be helpful.

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:28 pm

He just asked for a link to a website of similar interests that had a forum that he might have luck finding his information on.