Owl Lake

Discuss Fishing here including your own fishing reports.
McLeod

Owl Lake

Post by McLeod » Tue May 05, 2009 8:59 am

I am curious about Owl..Obviously not a day hike I assume so looks to require stay at marvel and do a day hike.?..How was the trail in , as for the fishing looks like admin had a solid exerience others haven't ?

treeplanter

Re: Owl Lake

Post by treeplanter » Sat May 09, 2009 4:27 pm

Last time I did this one was in mid October, 2001. (After that nights ice melted off half the lake) casted with wind at my back, didn't get a bite. Woke up to a bull elk chirp to see him scraping right outside my tent, I think my tent still stinks.

McLeod

Post by McLeod » Mon May 11, 2009 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum ! Don't think you can camp at the lake anymore.. Looks like the admin guy did okay last time he was there but I am still trying to get some details from him.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey, Owl was great fishing on my visit, was a bit windy as some rain was moving in but the brookies were biting hard and there are some good size ones in there. The trail is signed from the main trail and its well beaten so it should be no problem getting up there. There is no camping at the lake anymore but you could head up to the pass and camp on the BC side and then hit Marvel on the way down.
OutdoorAlberta.com

McLeod

Post by McLeod » Wed May 13, 2009 7:40 am

What month were you in there ?
I have looked at the option but I have been told and looked at Maps that show the distance from the lake on the BC side is about the same at coming in from the marvel lake campgroud. Also I have heard the pass up to BC is fairly step ?
I will continue my research but your answers are always appreciated and if anyone wants to come let me know!

treeplanter

Post by treeplanter » Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 am

Ya sure McLeod, I'm in for a Owl Lk. trip. I'm thinking two nights at big springs campsite (Br9) on Bryant Ck. I know a couple good pools on the creek in that area. Too many rock trucks on the Cross river rd. if coming from B.C. side over Marvel pass. I'll be in the Cariboo (B.C.s' central interior) until late june; Owl Lk. opens on July 7, just say when.

McLeod

Post by McLeod » Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 am

Sounds good , we can pick a date and maybe put a few of us together. Just waiting for the admin to share a little about his visit there which i believe was last summer?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Ya I was in there last summer, mid August. The trail to the pass wasn't that steep or so I remember but I went over from Owl lake side, Going up from Marvel would be alot steeper and there are switchbacks. The pass trail was fairly easy to follow. One of the bridges over the streams that feeds Marvel Lake was out but wasn't hard to cross. I stayed two nights at the Marvel lake site. I went for a day trip up to Owl and then over the pass back to Marvel. If I did it again I would consider staying in BC as well Aurora Lake I believe its called, no fish. The Action at Owl lake was pretty hot with some larger sized fish.

admin
OutdoorAlberta.com

McLeod

Post by McLeod » Thu May 21, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks for this..I assume you mean you stayed at the Marvel lake campground and hiked into Owl off the Bryant Creek trail ?
There are switchbacks on that the goes into Owl trail from bryant crrek trail ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 24, 2009 9:32 am

Yes I stayed at Marvel lake Campground and hiked in via Bryant Creek. There are no switchbacks going from Bryant to Owl. They are coming from Marvel Lake over the pass which would be an alternate route to Owl lake, but much harder/longer.
OutdoorAlberta.com