Invincible Lake

Discuss Fishing here including your own fishing reports.
Steven Noel

Invincible Lake

Post by Steven Noel » Mon May 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Monday 25, 2009

Dear Admin,

My name is Steven Noel and I am from Edmonton Alberta. I am an avid alpine lake fisherman and have been to some of your posted lakes. I have the read most descriptions and am particularily intrigued by Invincible Lake. However, I cannot find any further information on it, even in the detailed Backroad Mapbooks, which shows it but has no reference in the back to its existence. Any further information you could offer me on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Steven Noel

McLeod

Re: Invincible Lake

Post by McLeod » Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 am

Welcome Steven !
The admin can give you more info but if you have a detailed map of Kananaskis lakes you can find it.As mentioned it does not have a defined trail.

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Tue May 26, 2009 9:30 am

May 26. 2009

Dear Mcleod,

Thank you for your timely response. Whilst my maps show the lake, they don't mark the trail. Would you happen to know where the trail head is off of the Upper Kananaskis Lake loop? Could the trail be done as a day hike or would it nesesitate an over-nighter?

Any Information is Appreciated,

Steven Noel

McLeod

Post by McLeod » Tue May 26, 2009 11:12 am

Its a day trip for most in and out..admin can give you more info on the trailhead but follow Three Isle Lake trail for about an hour. After crossing Invincible Creek we will turn north on overgrown fireroad and make our way up the old burn and the ridge 500 vertical meters above. From there we will hike down to Invincible Lake hidden in the valley under Nt. Nomad.

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Tue May 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Again, thank you for the fast reply. Once you leave the fireroad is the trail difficult to follow or is it just your average unofficial trail that is pretty much the same as official trails but without the bridges and marked trailhead? I.e. Running Rain Lake

Thanks Again,

Steven Noel

treeplanter

Post by treeplanter » Tue May 26, 2009 4:43 pm

I've been there a few times, Fishing depends on stocking, it usually gets stocked every 4 or 8 years, it was just stocked last summer so expect lots of little ones this year (single barbless please).In 2007 it was excellent, in '08 only a few of the old timers remained, I doubt they would've survived a winter like we just had. also it won't ice out completely until the 2nd week of july this year. as well a being an exceptionally beautiful place It is an excellent place to run into a grizz. If you want to go here or anywhere in K-country see Gillean Daffern's trail guide.

treeplanter

Post by treeplanter » Tue May 26, 2009 4:58 pm

Once you leave the fire road you go thru a maze of grown over, deadfall covered fire roads up to the edge of the old burn then bushwack straight up, no trail here, if you're lucky you will find a game trail at the top of the ridge that gets you down the backside of the ridge. then bushwack thru alpine up to basin with the lake. If you know where you're going and have a mountainbike it should take you less than 3 hrs.one way from parking lot, if you leave flagging I will take it down.

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Tue May 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Thank you for input. Sure seems like a nice lake. The info on the stocking is very much appreciated. However, my map shows an outlet stream, is it not a naturally reproducing lake? As for the grizzlys, that makes sense as it seems to be a lake that sees few people each year.

The Help is Appreciated,

Steven Noel

treeplanter

Post by treeplanter » Tue May 26, 2009 11:07 pm

The outlet is 40ft. long, then tumbles over a 25ft. cliff and then disappears under the pile of scree at the bottom, it reappears up to a km. down the valley depending on the time of year. The 40ft. of outlet does have a gravel bottom but it is very shallow and the redds are dry by late Aug. or even early Sept. when the eggs hatch. In fact the provincial fisheries guys stocked golden trout here in the '80s, but they didn't reproduce.

Steven Noel

Post by Steven Noel » Wed May 27, 2009 7:37 am

Interesting. Rather unfortunate that K-Country could have had a golden trout lake but didn't. I have heard of a program where they create a small section of reproducing flowing water at alpine lakes, via detoruing the water. They do like to leave things the way they are but when they can create a selfsustaining poplution of trout that no longer requires stocking they sometimes make an exeption. I wonder if they would consider Invincible as a candadite for this program? Whats your thoughts?

Steven Noel