Backcountry Camping Supplies

Discuss Backcountry Camping here. Post your own trip reports or anything else you wish to discuss in relation to this topic.
Steven Noel

Backcountry Camping Supplies

Post by Steven Noel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 pm

We are looking into getting started in backcountry camping this year. Before we get started, however, we must purchase the neccesary supplies. We are looking for advice, particularily on picking out a tent and a backcountry stove.

For a tent I have recently looked into the Apex 3 XTC Eureka as seen here at WSS. http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod139323.html
Any input on this tent or possible alternative 3-man tents would be appreciated.

For a stove, I have looked at many, but do not have a clear cut selection yet. Information here would be appreciated also.

Thank you for your input and time.

friendofacatahoula

Re: Backcountry Camping Supplies

Post by friendofacatahoula » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Hey Steven,

There are lots of tents available with a wide range of price points. One place you can search is the classifed section on the MEC webiste. Sometimes people are getting rid of some really good ones for much less than retail. Sometimes I see something I like in a store, then I search on ebay as well to find a better deal.

Without knowing your needs its hard to tell you what would work best. A backcountry tent can mean many things to many people. You said We, so I guess you mean you and atleast one other person, what about kids or a dog? How far do you plan on hiking? How many nights at the most would you be spending in it? Do you want a tent that will last 2-3 years or a tent that will last many more?

With larger size usually comes larger weight. To keep the weight down you pay more. Sure you have figured out that! Newer materials are lighter, and constructed better.

Two things I don't like about the Eureka you are look at is the fibreglass pools (the tend to break easier, and are heavier) and the overall weight of the tent (8lbs) but I do like Eureka tents, very well built. I see it listed at $239, so I am guessing under a $250 price point. The Eureka is a two pole design where others can be three. If you plan on being in the mountains, a three pole system is much more resistent to wind!

Looking at Wholesales website they have the Mountain Hardware Habitat 3 on sale for $239, reg $369, thats a good deal, 3 pole, same weight. 52 sq feet of floor space. I couldn't find the floor space for the Eureka. I don't know much about the Habitat, but it looks like a good and has some good internet reviews.

My personal backpacking tent is a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3. I paid a premium for this tent but still saved several hundred dollars by getting it online. My girlfriend and I have spent 16 hours in the mountains, through heavy rain and thunderstorms with the dog in this tent. I can't tell you how great it is. And the packed weight is just over 4lbs.

Now for stoves, there are lots of cool new ones out there. Those fast boil systems are cool. Why do you need to boil stuff faster, well it saves on fuel, less fuel, less weight to carry.

You can get one of those multi fuel systems, but if you only plan on camping in North America, why do you need anything else than a single fuel sorce. I use a LPG low pressure gas stove and I love it. No more pumping fuel, measuring fuel, having fuel spill blah blah blah. I screw on the container and away we go. They simmer, they work well and its very easy to use. Some people complain that you never know how much fuel you have, what I do is weight the containers when new and compare them to an empty one. I am pretty good now with it and if I am worried I carry a brand new one with me.

Mine is a Primus from MEC, it wasn't very much money and the fuel LPG cans fit my backpacking lantern made by Primus. I don't like the super small ones that attach right to the canister, they don't provide a stable cooking base. Do you want to spill your pork and beans?

If you want more info on other items I can let you know what works for us. We aren't minimalists, but we like to carry lighter packs and enjoy our treks. If you really wanted to go light weight, use your trekking poles as tent poles and get a tarp tent. Not for me though, I like having floors and a wall. :D

wow that was long!